[access-uk] Re: Router?

  • From: "John Farley" <john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:10:03 -0000

Hi Andy,

The wireless links should not really slow down downloads from the internet.

I don't know what speed your broadband is, but 2MB seems to be getting
normal these days.

I don't know what speed your wireless network is going to be on, the 2 main
standards are 11MB and 50MB (or thereabouts.)

So, unless your wireless connection is very poor indeed then your wireless
connection speed will greatly exceed that of your internet connection so it
should not bbe a slowing factor.

The main area of slowdown on a home network is that of PC to PC. Typically a
wired connection to a router will be at 100MB, clearly much faster than the
wireless speed mentioned earlier; so in this case PC to PC transfers will be
slower on a wireless network.
.

I hope that all makes sense to you.

Regards, John