[access-uk] Re: Rosetta Stone

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 06:14:47 +0100

Hi Ari.

I'm not a language learner, however I do know that Audible stock a number of language learning courses with downloadable supplemental material, and that most language courses do at some point require you to look at books to aid in understanding. The Michel Thomas method is available on Audible, however you can only use Audible credits on the foundation level courses - the rest have to be paid for at the listed prices.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Ari Damoulakis
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 10:06 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Rosetta Stone

Yes even though it doesn't work, there are some great language
learning methods out there that are sometimes even designed to be
learned through audio.
I like Michel Thomas, but they are very expensive, so just for travel
it might not be a good idea
www.michelthomas.co.uk
I have also heard of Pimsleur. Penton Overseas also has a CD program
for Spanish, German, French or Italian, I think they're called, for
example the French one is Global French Deluxe language course.
Then for if you just want some travel phrases and things there are
language courses on the audible.
Ari

On 9/19/11, Doris and Chris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Unfortuatnely Rosetta Stone's interface as well as the contents are
highly graphical and therefore not accessible to someone totally blind.
  this might not be too great a loss, though,as there are many
language programs that are accessible and often much more affordably
priced. We just had this question on another list I am on and
depending on your target language, maybe we can suggest some
alternatives, some of them even free.

hth

Doris

At 01:09 PM 9/19/2011, you wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know whether the language learning software products
from Rosetta Stone are accessible with screen readers? By that, I
mean the interface rather than the content of any videos.

The most recent traffic from access technology lists that I can find
suggests that they aren't, but this dates back to 2009.

Does anyone know if the situation has changed?

Thanks,

Ed