[access-uk] Re: Reinstalling Windows

  • From: "roger south" <roger.south@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:05:55 +0100

I purchased an OEM version of Windows XP when I had my computer upgraded a
while ago. I bought it as a legit application from Ebuyer and to save money I
installed it myself dumping the Win98 system. Last year I had a problem  and
contacted MS support for help. They asked for details from the Properties
section and informed me it was an illegal copy. I went back to Ebuyer who
replaced it. Returned to MS support who again said it was an illegal copy. On
reluctantly answering my questions it seems this was because I had an OEM copy
and I am not a registered MS engineer. No further progress could be made. I
finally re-formatted my system and re-installed all the applications and
drivers. Luckily I keep copies of all of them.

To me it seems crazy that OEM copies are readily available but MS will not
support them if you are not a registered engineer. But this is really all
related to money as being trade the engineer would be charged a swinging fee by
MS which he would pass on to me together with the £57.50 plus VAT he charges
his customers. It would have been cheaper to dump it all and start from
scratch.  I have no respect for MS's operating methods at all and am seriously
considering moving from them to perhaps Linux.

Roger

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.