[access-uk] Re: Really good, accessible web sites.

  • From: "Tink Watson" <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:17:37 +0100

Steve,

   Nothing like a good discussion first thing in the morning. *Smile.

This is a tricky one to decide. I think what you're suggesting is that a web site, no matter how well it is designed, is only accessible if an external product is capable of reading it?

The difficulty here lies with the question of whose responsibility it should be to ensure that there isn't a discrepancy between the accessible design of a web site and the degree of success a screen reader has in interacting with it.

The problem is that to a large degree the responsibility lies with each party and, just to make life interesting, with the browser manefacturers also.

There are standards and guidelines laid down by the Internet's governing body, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). If followed by a web designer, a web site should be accessible to everyone, assuming they have the right technology.

In turn, the browsers must also follow the same guidelines and standards when they read the code of a web page and display it onscreen. This is starting to happen and once Internet Explorer 7 is released, the browsers on the whole will be doing a good job of interpreting the code pages are written in.

Last you come to screen readers, which must also interpret the code web pages are written in correctly, but which also rely on the interpretation previously carried out by the browser. It can begin to look like a bit of a muddle.

What I'm trying to get at is that if each of the three parties involved in the process all followed these guidelines and standards, then any glitches would be removed and you wouldn't end up with the situation you suggested where one screen reader may not be able to deal with something that another can.

The trick is to follow the guidelines and standards and in my working experience I've yet to find an example where a site designed following said guidelines etc. hasn't been accessible to people using any of the common screen reading technologies, despite the different approaches taken by each cog in the wheel. If you know of any examples though, I'd be interested to know. All the feedback and real world experiences we can hear about, the better Nomensa, our company, will be at getting this web development malarky right. *Grin.

Tink.
It's a long haul and it will take time, the screen reader vendors being the most reluctant to follow the lead taken by the browser vendors, and increasingly web designers.