[access-uk] Reading Machines

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:19:17 +0200

Hi everyone,
It's rather quite interesting and lucky that Ray's post about this new reading machine arrived yesterday, because I have a question about what's out there and what would you guys recommend. I need to somehow get my very thick university library books into readable form. I have been trying to use a normal scanner with OmniPage, but the things I don't like about it are that, first, for some reason, I can never quite get it right to position the book accurately on the scanner, it's quite a small scanner, and it's quite hard when it's a very thick book and it sometimes doesn't open properly, that sort of thing. The other thing I don't like, is that, unlike Open Book and some of these other programs, I can't hear how the page has come out right away, so I don't know whether what I've scanned makes any sense. The last problem is just that the scanner also takes ages to scan a page anyway, I just basically find going through the whole thing a bit of a hassle, trying to hold the book straight and the page flat, that sort of thing for many pages. Instead then of a scanner, I'm want to know what you guys think of these other options. The device of Ray's post seems quite interesting, because it says that it's a camera that takes a photo of the book, and that there are grooves in the stand so that you can position your book easily, and you of course hopefully don't have to hold the book flat. Is this device though the only device that works like that, or what other devices can you guys recommend? I was also thinking of the KNFB Reader Mobile, but am against that a bit because it's more expensive, and because I don't think I want to always try and focus my mobile phone on a page of a book to try and take pictures everytime, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is then no way that you can save a document and get it to your PC anyway?
Really just need thoughts on what's the best thing to do here.
Thanks
Ari