[access-uk] Re: Reading Machines

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:01:07 +0200

Hi all,
What's a flatbed scanner? The scanner I've been using is just a normal A4 scanner, it's an epson. We do have a disability unit at uni, but they only do our prescribed stuff, if we want to do research, it's up to us to get the books from the library and scan them ourselves. As to braking the book, can't really do that, what happens is that I put the page of the thinner part of the book on the scanner, then I have to somehow hold it to keep gravity from pulling the thick part of the book and making the pages not fit properly, and because some of these books, the writing is so close to the edge, you sometimes don't get it all. Carol, I'd really love to know why you think Kurzweil's better than open book, because I've also heard this from other people, but I've never used it. One thing that, I haven't tried the new version, but the older version of Open Book couldn't even recognise and scan tables in properly. It's also actually amazing how long FS took to update OB, it's been years since the previous version. One thing I find stupid, is some publishers are so unflexible with the whole electronic copy thing. At the uni where I was before, the DU hardly existed, so we used to try and get electronic copies of the prescribed books from the publishers. All the publishers wouldn't allow you as a private person to buy them, you had to go through the university, and sometimes the uni people had to fill in so many forms and stuff that it used to take over a month for the books to come! There was even one publisher who even refused the university, they made us ask the South African Library for the Blind to ask them for the book, and that took so long that, with postage, it actually managed to take three months! This publisher also insisted on posting the book on a CD, they didn't want to email it or anything else. Ari