[access-uk] Re: Radio for the Deaf!

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:09:04 -0000

Briefly, I did leave in the announcement that radio for the deaf and
sensory impaired was a "press release".  Those always have to be
treated accordingly, and it might have been better to edit it more
than I did, though there's a link to the whole story at the end of
that post.  (Editing press releases is something that's very necessary
as sometimes we use them on the talking newspaper I help record.  You
get the impression those writing them are paid by the word!)

I still wonder though whether such things will be able to be
incorporated into DMB when it arrives, and that the R and D needed to
make that happen actually will happen.  Mind, that isn't of course the
end of the story.  In a sense we keep coming here:  no funding for
on-going costs, and not nearly enough in TV where AD is still notable
by its absense, not beingpresent on more than 5-10% of programmes, and
that tells us something!  I seem to recall the Dept of Culture and
whatnot wasn't prepared to contribute a penny to this.  So, we might
indeed ask, what hope for all these exciting possibilities on radio?

There just isn't the political will seemingly to do more than press
announcements!  I don't know enough about the US setup to comment
much, but anyone who does, well it would be nice to hear from them.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx