[access-uk] Re: Radio 4 blind program

  • From: "Sunil" <bosley20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:25:09 +0100

Just for the record prostitution isn't actually illegal; check this out from
a page on the BBC website.

Is prostitution illegal?
The law is complicated. The act of one consenting adult paying another for
sex is NOT actually illegal. So, a woman who works on her own, in her own
house
and charges people for sex is NOT breaking the law.

But the laws that exist around it make it almost impossible to carry out
prostitution legally.

To put it as simply as possible...
Brothels are illegal - that's a room where more than one woman works - even
if they work on different days or at different times. A massage parlour is
normally
a classier name for a brothel.
It's also illegal to live off immoral earnings - that could include pimps,
massage parlour managers, and receptionists.

It's illegal to advertise for sexual services - though not to advertise
massage or escort services like those in the papers and on the internet.
It's also
quite likely that people renting a house and using it as a brothel are
committing planning and tenancy offences. At a street level it's illegal to
solicit
for trade, and curb-crawling is illegal.