[access-uk] RNIB, how inefficient are they?

  • From: Dave Sheridan <dsheridan65@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:37:14 +0000

I recently received a Plextalk pocket portable daisy player as a present. The
kind person who gave me this enquired about braille instructions and was told
that they could do this but they would be about 600 pages. The person accepted
that audio instructions would suffice. After receipt of said player I rang to
ask for braille instructions and was told the same thing. I asked for the
braille copy. Interestingly the audio contents goes up to page 96 so I was a
little confused why this would translate to 600 braille pages. I've just
received the instructions in 3 volumes totalling just under 300 A4 pages.
Clearly those people providing potential customers with information should be
well informed and clearly they are not:

To add to this a friend of mine who took out a subscription to the talking book
service has been perplexed by RNIB sending books which don't appear on the list
she supplied them with. This has occurred twice now within a short period of
time, firstly with books she hadn't ordered appearing on a pen drive sent to
her and since then having changed to disc she has been sent other titles not
ordered by her. Having experienced this myself over some considerable time
before I was blunt with them I I do wonder why their customer service is so
poor. As you have to ask for braille instructions these days you would think
they would give good information and not try to put you off getting them to do
the job they are there to do.

Dave  Sent from my iPhone** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:-