[access-uk] Re: RNIB and Audible partnership

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 21:06:30 +0100

Very interesting and certainly sounds good news but in the intro bit it raises a lot of unanswered questions/ clarifications needed. I did not listen through the sample from the Militarist Audio Book to its conclusion so these questions/clarifications may have been addressed later. But assuming they were not.

1. It only mentions eligibility for those using the USB/Daisy Disk service - what about those who have switched to the Download Service? Are we excluded?

2. It seems to suggest though does not make clear that actually only a tiny sub-set of books on Audible will be available to the RNIB . That is the 4,000 books for which Audible directly hold the copyright. Audible is massively bigger than this though. Presumably this means that only 1 in 50 of the over 200,000+ books available (according to Google when I checked just now will actually be available to RNIB members.

3. What people should definately not be doing then is cancelling their Audible membership in the belief that they will get anything like the selection of books they currently enjoy.

4. If I am correct in all this I think it is possibly misleading not to include this clarification at the stage of the announcement, certainly my first thought was should I now cancel my Audible Membership?

This is not to downplay what is an important marginal development. An increase of 4,000 books is certainly an uplift on the current 10,000 books that the RNIB hold.

If as a Download Talking Book User I can access these titles I will certainly appreciate not having to expend my Audible Credits on them.
Still I think the announcement should be clearer to prevent people taking premature stpes regarding cancelling Audible membership that they may later regret.

David Griffith

ON 20/08/2016 17:45, Michael Allan wrote:

Here is a link to the announcement concerning this.
https://audioboom.com/boos/4951397-audible-team-up-with-rnib-talking-books
** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq