[access-uk] Re: RNIB Student Library Booklist on Counselling

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:01:58 +0100

Hi Barry.

Some very good points there, in particular, the one about securing a book list, prior to commencing a course. That is a very good idea and if the reading list was made available some months , perhaps, during the summer, a student could spend the summer trying to source them from Talking Book Libraries. What I found was that my fully sighted fellow students would run down to the College Library and get the books out quicker than I could. On top of this, I had to wait for several months into my course, before I was provided with the equipment I needed to complete the course. If this equipment was also made available much earlier, the student, perhaps with no experience of JAWS or HAL, could get used to the system earlier.

I'd love to see students commencing a course with as much equality as practabily possible. Perhaps, applications for higher education grants could be processed earlier if the students were disabled, say, 6 months.

Taking on an academic course is difficult for most people, but vip students struggle right from the start. It would be interesting to see any figures on drop-out, particularly amongst disabled students.

Best wishes.
Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>