[access-uk] Re: RNIB Sonic Glasses

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 11:29:49 +0100

Hi Barry.

Thanks for reminding me, I have been wearing them now for a few days and these
are my impressions.

I’ve already commented on their construction and durability, so lets move on to
practicality.  I have the tinted lenses model which is quite effective at
stopping bright sunlight from hurting my eyes, though not entirely as they
aren’t wrap around.  The sensitivity I feel is a little over sensitive
particularly in busy environments such as shopping centres and markets etc.
because there are plenty of moving obstacles IE people which makes gaging
distances very difficult.  This isn’t the glasses fault as its the way they’re
designed, but its more of a hindrance than a help and I find myself turning
them off when in such places as their effectiveness is pretty much useless in
that sort of situation.

Having said that, when walking along a busy street or even a quiet one, I’ve
found them to be particularly good especially with overhanging trees, bushes
and the like.  I use a guide dog so he does work around these obstacles quite
well unless he’s inclined to go and have a sniff, but as a rule the performance
is very reasonable and you get plenty of notification via the vibration’s
increasing frequency of an upcoming obstacle.  All I would ask is that in a
future model of these, you could have optionally audible feedback rather than
vibratory and that the sensitivity of the sonar could be adjustable.  However,
having said that, for 80 quid they’re not at all a bad investment.

I hope this helps you barry and any one else considering these, they do come
highly recommended by me.