[access-uk] RNIB Right To Read campaign + a Kindle Conundrum

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:12:45 +0000

Hello all,

Whatever happened to the RNIB's "Right To Read campaign?

If you click on the
Right to Read<http://www.rnib.org.uk/campaigning>.
Link on their site, it promises you that you'll go to the campaign, but instead
you go to a generic campaigns page...which is in itself not a great example of
web usability.

Here's one to give you food for thought:

I went to the Amazon site to find out whether David Blunkett's book was
available on Kindle. It is not, but there was a button you could press to "tell
the publishers you'd like to read it on Kindle". Click this, and Amazon will
tell them you want it on Kindle. However, there's no way to get them to "Tell
the publishers you would like to listen to a speech enabled version on Kindle".
However, if the publishers decide they don't want you to hear it on Kindle,
they can forbid Amazon from speech enabling that version. My "Y O Y O Y" rant
is:
"Why is it not as easy for a blind person to request a speech enabled kindle
version as it is for publishers to insist that the Kindle edition be silent?

Any thoughts on the fate of Right To Read or the Kindle anomaly?

Best,
Clive

Clive Lever
Diversity and Equality Officer