[access-uk] Re: RNIB Overdrive IOS app

  • From: Paul Warner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:38:31 +0100

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info re Android. I do have an S3 and was thinking of installing Overdrive on that.

As Alistair points out, the problem arises from the fact that Overdrive is a mainstream library solution whose apps have not been made fully accessible at the time of adoption by the RNIB as their delivery platform. These accessibility issues, along with the muddle over subscriptions, is rather unfortunate to say the least.

I saw your point about the streaming rate of the audio files. What I did notice with my first title was that there was severe clipping for the first minute and then that seemed to stop. I've never experienced that with anything else but I am glad I was patient with it since, otherwise, I would have stopped reading the book.

Seems that the whole service is still in beta at the moment...

Paul

On 27/09/2014 23:29, Steve Nutt wrote:
Hi Paul,

You think the iOS app is bad, the Android app is worse.  It consists of a
web view that mostly freezes Talkback.  Louisa from RNIB said they had users
who use the Android app, but I reckon they must have low vision as opposed
to being totally blind, since the app is pretty sluggish on Android at best.

Last Email I got, Louisa said Overdrive had made some ten changes to do with
accessibility, but I haven't seen an update yet.

I am using a Vanilla Android Google Nexus 5 on Kitkat, V4.4.4.  They don't
come much more vanilla than that, but I am not impressed with the app so
far.

Oh yes, and don't even think about trying to sign in with Facebook, the Sign
In button doesn't work.

So yes, Audible is way better and they are improving accessibility all the
time.

I quite like the RNIB service, but I don't like the Overdrive app, no real
thought has gone into accessibility with  it on Android.  Other problem is
there seems to be no way to contact Overdrive re accessibility.  I contacted
them generally and never received a reply.  So how committed Overdrive are
to accessibility I am not sure at this point.  I am also not sure it was a
great choice by RNIB, but I haven't tried any of the other library offerings
except Audible, which is fantastic for accessibility and just proves it can
be done and done well.

Challenge to RNIB, if you give me a contact within Overdrive who is
technical enough to understand the accessibility problems with the Android
app, I will try to help or at least point them to resources.

All the best

Steve

--
Computer Room Services