[access-uk] Re: RNIB Overdrive IOS app

  • From: "Alistair" <alistair.kelly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:16:46 +0100

Hi Paul, thanks for this,will have a go later this morning. Thinking of uninstalling then re-installing the app as it seems to refresh a lott sending the ipod into a clicking frenzy! also seems to freeze sometimes, so will try this later. Can't help thinking it would have been much better if RNIB had invested in a specific app designed for VI users rather than latch onto a commercial app like overdrive, round holes and square pegs come to mind! Again thanks!

Alistair

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Warner
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:31 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: RNIB Overdrive IOS app

Alistair,

Dead right.  Selecting the borrow button only marks the title as
'checked out'.  Staying within the library Web view, you will
(eventually) find a section where the title is listed along with a
download link.

When the download link is activated, you can check the progress of the
download in the Overdrive app itself by tapping on the Files control at
the bottom of the screen.  You switch back to Overdrive from the library
Web view by selecting the Home button at the top.

Once the Files page in the Overdrive app tells you that all of the
component files have been downloaded, you can then go back to the
Overdrive app main screen and go into Bookshelf where you will find the
downloaded title.

Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment about how to find the
download link after selecting the borrow button but you do have to stay
inside the library Web view.  The relevant section is some considerable
way down the page.

Hope this helps.

Paul

On 27/09/2014 21:20, Alistair wrote:
Hi Paul, are you saying that when double tapping on the "Borrow" button within the app this does not initiate the download? I've been racking what remains of my grey matter wondering why when I select "Borrow" no books are added to my ipod. I did assume that the book would be downloaded directly to my ipod despite the fact that I do see the book selected on the ipod in the list of 6 books on the RNIB overdrive site. thoroughly confused here!

BEST

Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:59 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] RNIB Overdrive IOS app

Having received my welcome email with instructions attached, I
downloaded the Overdrive app from the App Store - and it took me ages to
get my first book onto my iPod Touch.

The first thing I noticed on my fourth gen iPod Touch running IOS 6.1 is
that the Overdrive app (which is not made by RNIB) is not fully
VoiceOver compliant.  On most of its screens, you have to explore by
touch in order to access all of the available controls. You can't always
swipe from one control to another.  That's confusing and it means that
you can't use a bluetooth keyboard for all navigation.

Unlike the Audible app, where books to be downloaded are listed along
with downloaded books in the main screen of the app itself, you have to
navigate to the download section on the library Web page after 'checking
out' the desired title after selecting the borrow button.  This is not
obvious and, given the fact that the RNIB library is Web based as
opposed to being presented in a cut-down form within the Overdrive app,
it can take some time to find the title you want to download.  It just
feels like there are too many steps and that the steps are not presented
in a logical step-by-step way, at least compared to the Audible experience.

Anyway, having audio books available for download like this from the
RNIB is just great and I have already started on my first downloaded book.

Paul