[access-uk] Re: RNIB Overdrive - Faults in conversion from Daisy to Overdrive format

  • From: Paul Warner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 11:49:56 +0000

High Mo,

Thought so. When you say that the majority might be OK, I'm afraid that this doesn't help much. The title I was having problems with was probably the fifth or sixth book I borrowed from Overdrive. This is a very short sample but we are talking 15 to 20% of titles containing errors. You say that you are on your fifth corrupt book - out of how many? Even if 10% of all titles in the library are corrupt, this is way too severe for any library to sustain and they do need to suspend the service, fix the bugs and reconvert all of the titles.

Paul

On 02/12/2014 11:33, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hi paul.

Yep it was me and it wasn't just with 1 book i think i am on my 5th corrupt book now. The majority may be ok but there is obviously a flaw in the conversion process. They need to get this resolved as soon as possible. Its alright telling us to email the overdrive mailbox, but all you get is an automatic response. Noone follows up to tell you if the book has actually been fixed or not. Surely they could just use a file splitter to split the mp3 files that were part of the original daisy book? So they are in chapter form. I hope they resolve this soon or i will be switching to the daisy service!

All the best,

Mo.

Paul Warner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    No idea about subscription reductions, my point was only about the
    technical issue.

    On 02/12/2014 11:01, Eleanor Martha Burke wrote:

        Paul, not Mo, but I recall Mo's posting and I think it was
        with one book that he had the problem. I learned from someone
        also that BCAB members get a discount to OverDrive
        subscription. Personally my local Council pay the full price
        for me so no money out of my pocket but I think this could be
        construed as a form of discrimination within a Class of
        people, should people be forced to join BCAB for perks? I
        think that the service should be free to all blind people and
        where it is not free, I do not think that groups of blind
        people shuld get reduction in subscript ion. I wonder do RNIB
        staff get a reduction also? Eleanor ----- Original Message
        ----- From: "Paul Warner" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
        <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014
        10:48 AM Subject: [access-uk] RNIB Overdrive - Faults in
        conversion from Daisy to Overdrive format

            I think it was Mo who posted a while back that some titles
            borrowed from the new Overdrive service were jumbled due
            to errors at conversion to the new format. I have read a
            few titles without detecting any such problems until I
            started on 'A History of Eastern Europe', a tome which
            apparently takes 62 hours at normal speed - or maybe
            not... At the beginning of the book, the authors provide a
            detailed table of contents and then a summary of important
            event s with respective dates before the preface and
            chapter 1. I found that the reading of the table of
            contents and the summary was often in the wrong order and
            some parts were even repeated. Skipping past the
            irrelevant bits, it soon became apparent that some parts
            of later chapters had found their way into the first part
            of the book, rendering the whole thing unreadable. I have
            advised the Overdrive service in the hope that they will
            reconvert the book. Having recently transferred my
            subscription from Daisy to Overdrive, I am now a bit
            nervous that I might find part way through a book that
            there are sections out of order, repeated or even missing.
            I can't be sure that the next book I read will be correct.
            Anyone else experiencing this? Paul ** To leave the list,
            click on the immediately-following link:- **
            ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: **
            access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line
            type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as
            vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following
            link:- **
            [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or
            send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
            the Subject:- faq