[access-uk] Re: RNIB Now Selling Long Canes in Different Colours - Import from Canada

  • From: "Steve Hyde-Dryden" <csdryden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:24:03 +0100

Eleanor ,
There is no white cane law in the united kingdum  as there is in the states and
the highway code simply offers advice to drivers.  When the highway code was
written there were no coloured canes available.  I donât think this section has
ever been updated.  When people first started using canes some people used a
gentlemans umbrella.  I'm not sure off hand of the date that whitecanes were
first used, I think the topic is very interesting:that is the history of the
white cane.  However, even though there is white cane law in the states this
does not mean that the cane has to be white.  Black canesshow up much better in
snow and some people just like to have a different cane.  I have heard of
people having a different cane for the evening which they have sort of dressed
up.

I think that the general public are already confused and ill informed about
most issues relating to the mobility of blind or visually impaired people.  I
do believe that somesort of legislation is needed this would clarify any issues
that people may have around accidents and the colour of the cane.

I also believe that the attitude of blind people towards their canes is
different to those of other countries.  I believe that the cane is an excelant
mobility tool and should be taught to more people and sold more by profecionals
as a tool of independence rather than a must have mobility aid.  You are
correct that if guide dog owners do not have a secondary mobility aid this puts
them at a serious disadvantige.  You as do all of us blind or visually impaired
people have the right to comment on this subject and the more comment I say the
better.  Issues around cane use and rehabilitation of visually impaired people
in general are not talked about enough

Jayne Connor emailing from steves computer,I will of course be shot at dawn for
contributing to a list of which I am not a member I just couldnât help myself I
am a cane user guide dog owner and rehabilitation worker.

Bye for now.  (smile)