[access-uk] Re: RNIB Duo Comm Splitter Box

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 16:10:14 +0100

I suppose the circumstances are rather different, but this reminds me of seeing my first talking calculator back in 1978. I think the price was then about £400. It wasn't so long after that Sharp brought out their talking calculator at around £30. I think the speech was seen as something of a gimmick.

Iain
-----Original Message----- From: Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:20 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: RNIB Duo Comm Splitter Box

Hi Steve,

Back in the day, (probably the early nineties, I remember going to one o fhe slightly pre-sight-village exhibitions, at which the first talking timer was exhibited. I think it may have been sold at around £150. I remember saying that I wouldn't be prepared to pay the price of a roller for a pair of roller-skates. I was told that the chances of getting anything at a lower price were virtually nil, due to the cost of research and development, the niche market, and blah dee blah dee blah. Within a fortnight Cobolt brought out a talking timer for 35 quid. So, if you can develop a 'made to measure' gadget based on what customers have told you they want, and it clocks in at a significantly lower price than an 'off-the-peg' device that customers settle for, because they feel there's nothing more suitable out there, you're doing a grand job, and I for one look forward to getting one.

Best,
Clive