[access-uk] Re: REVO KEYBOARD was Re: KNFB - Try before you buy

  • From: "Carol.Pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:38:11 +0100

Would agree with you, Ian.

Carol P

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Macrae" <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:10 PM
Subject: [access-uk] REVO KEYBOARD was Re: KNFB - Try before you buy

I used the REVO keyboard less than I thought I would. but this is mainly due to my own laziness and/or lack of organisation. There have also been some minor problems with the interface between it and recent versions of IOS. But when I have used it I’ve found it, well, useful. I agree with Carol that getting used to the old fashioned keypad method of text entry all over again is initially slow but, as in the old days,you eventually pick up speed. The last thing I’d say is that, as good as it is, the price point is rather too high in my opinion.
On 22 Aug 2015, at 20:00, Carol.Pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alison,

I do have KNFB Reader but, for some reason, on my 4S it has ceased to work in the last upgrade, so I've left it for the time being. This means that I haven't even considered a document stand. There are a few around now but I'm not sure which are over here. Amazon is probably your best choice to try to find one.

I have two bluetooth keyboards, though I don't use them all the time as I often use the Braille input facility now available to us and/or the mBraille app. OK, the keyboards are the Apple Wireless Keyboard, which I've had for years and got it first to go with my iPod. It's not by any means the only offering out there and I would suggest, even if you want to have an Apple one, that you hold off until later this year when, it is rumoured, there will be a new Apple keyboard available.

I have also recently purchased a RiVO keyboard, which is about the size of a credit card, so not big. I hoped, after listening to a very good podcast by David Woodbridge in Australia, that I'd get to taking it out with me. I may well do this when needed, but it's not as fast as the Apple keyboard because (on the RiVO) I'm using the older method of input where you have letters on each number (remember the Nokia phones)?

The RiVO is quite expensive at £89, currently, and I'd suggest you listen to the podcast before even considering this.

I think the podcast is on Applevis, but I have a copy that I could put into my dropbox if it helps.

If you have any further questions about these two then do ask.

I'd just reiterate that there are other keyboards too and I haven't necessarily got the "best buys"; though I'm currently very happy with what I have. I know there is one which is popular which you can purchase from Argos.

Sorry my info is a bit sketchy but I tend not to be able to bring to mind all I've heard about.

Carol P

----- Original Message ----- From: "CJ &AA MAY" <chrisalismay@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Nutt <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, 21 August 2015 9.15 am

Hi, Looks as though Try Before You Buy is not here quite yet.

Having researched this a bit more, it looks as though that tweet
is correct. So I guess those who want to try it will have to wait
for 2.1. Sorry Eleanor.

All the best

Steve
--