[access-uk] RADIO CONTROLLED WATCH SOLD BY RNIB

  • From: "Carol.Pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 14:11:53 +0100

Hi all,

Today Mike had to get another battery for his watch and, as before, he ended up
going through the Oracle (which he hates) in order to get to Debenhams to have
the job done.

This has prompted to remind folk that Debenhams will at least have a good go at
doing the watch for you, which is more than can be said for "The Watch Shop".
It's an online store but has a showroom here in Reading.  It's very easy for us
to get there so we'd tried the other day.  Apparently, they don't really do
anything that they don't sell and, according to their website, it looks as
though they don't guarantee to service things they do sell!

The guy did take his watch away the other day and came back and was adamant
that he'd tested the battery and it was absolutely fine.  When pushed, he
confirmed the battery was fine and said it was almost certainly something gone
in the electronics.  When Mike went to Debenhams this morning, they confirmed
the battery had gone and the rest of the watch appears fine, now it has a new
battery.

I don't like griping about salespeople but, when they deliberately tell you a
lie (probably rather than even opening the watch) it's pretty poor.  We're
never going to that showroom again.

Carol P