[access-uk] R: Extended selection mode in Word

  • From: "RMPortal" <robertmartin.portal@xxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:06:19 +0100

Dear Catherine,

The following works for me on the  Italian version of Word 2003 using Jaws
12. I think it also works on the English versions of Word 2003, 2007 and
2010. My apologies for giving you the wrong hot keys for the insertion of
heading styles in a post some time ago - that was because I had forgotten
they were different in the English version of Word.

If you press F8 once you go into extended selection mode, press it twice and
it will select the word the cursor is on and pressing three times will
select the whole paragraph. When you select a word or paragraph you
automatically exit extended selection mode.

When in Extended selection mode if you press an alphanumeric, punctuation or
symbol key, the character will not be typed into the text but Word will
select all the text between the cursor and the first occurrence of such
character (including the character itself) in the text and Jaws should read
what has been selected. If there is no such occurrence nothing is selected.
You can select more text by pressing the same or a different character, the
new text selected will be from the end of the text already selected up to
and inclusive of the first occurrence of the character pressed. This can be
done as many times as you want. It is case sensitive so if you press upper
case S you will select text up to the first occurrence of a capital S
without stopping at any lower case examples.  I find it very useful if I
want to select text in brackets, I place the cursor on the open brackets,
press F8 and then close brackets and everything inside is selected including
both the open and closed brackets.

When in extended selection mode you can also use the arrow keys to select
text without having to hold down the shift key. This includes moving in
increments of words, lines and paragraphs at a time as well as to the
beginning and end of the document. If you move backwards it will de-select
what has already been selected or (if nothing has been selected) select text
before the cursor position.

You exit extended selection mode by processing (cutting, copying, deleting,
underlining, bolding etc.)  the selected text or by pressing escape. At that
point you can return the cursor to its position before entering selection
mode by pressing the left arrow (or the right arrow if you have been
selecting before the cursor). If you are using Jaws it should say "extended
selection mode off".

You can also use "find" when in extended selection mode. If you want to
select all text up to the first occurrence of a particular word press F8,
open the Find dialogue box, enter the word, press enter and escape to exit
the dialogue box and you should find that the related text has been
selected.

I expect there are other features I have missed out but this at least gives
some idea of its flexibility.

Best wishes

Robert