[access-uk] Re: R: Enabling speech on an EE Kestrel Smartphone.

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 00:06:55 +0100

Hi Robert.

Oh great, I'm not entirely thrilled with the prospect of having to download and install Talkback, I rather thought it was installed on Android devices as standard, or at least that you could get them speaking out of the box. I'm an iPhone user and so fully enjoy Audible, Skype and a hundred other apps aside on my phone, this was just the cheapest solution EE could offer me on the price plan I was after, any more expensive handsets would have required either an upfront payment or an increased monthly tariff cost. To satisfy curious and inquisitive minds, the plan I'm on is £37.99 per month and gives me unlimited minutes and texts in the UK and Europe and 20 gigs of 4G extra data. As I'm also now on EE broadband, I get an additional 10GB data bolt on and I'm also planning to share my plan with my iPad using a data sharing sim.

Anyway, thanks for your insights re your Huawei device, I'm not expecting miracles with this Kestrel, but it would have been oh so nice if I could have set it up independently and used it as a spare phone should my iPhone stop working.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: RMPortal
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:40 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] R: Enabling speech on an EE Kestrel Smartphone.

Dear Ibrahim,

I bought a Hua wei ascend y300 in January basically because it was cheap and
recommended as good value by an Italian consumer magazine.

The bad news. There was no way I could get it talking unaided because
talkback was not installed. Once my daughter had done this for me it was
also necessary to turn on "explore by touch" in Settings, accessibility,
talkback, settings - explore by touch is one of the last of the settings).
This means that the phone will tell you what's on the screen when you touch
it, you have to open it with two taps.

The better news. Since it's my first touch screen phone it has been quite
challenging but I can now do most of what I want including using it for
Skype and Audible. Kindle I have yet to master properly but I haven't had
much time recently. Audible is considerably easier on the ap than on the
internet and the speaker quality is surprisingly good. Memory is very
limited but it takes an SD card and the 16 Gb I bought in London only cost
about £12.

Battery life is nothing special but I'm told that that might be to do with
having Skype installed. It also takes a while to sort itself out sometimes
(slow processor?). Mine has Android 4.1 installed without any prospect of it
being updated apparently but as I said, it does the basics and a few extras
and only cost £81 including post and packing so I'm not complaining.

Best wishes

Robert