[access-uk] Quick question about web page application regions for any Windows Eyes users.

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:49:51 +0100

I urgently need to know how Windows Eyes users handle application regions
on web pages.
I'm trying with version 8.4.0.0 and Firefox, which is the recommended
partner browser.
It tells me there's an application region on the page, but when I tab to
it, unlike NVDA, JAWS and Chromevox, it doesn't switch into what I think is
called pass through mode, if that's the right term.
So basically, if one accesskey letter "P" has been setup to act as play and
pause in the web application, how do users deal with that?
Also, it doesn't announce either the application label, or the extended
description. Again, how do users access that?

I know there are probably more appropriate lists, and I promise to learn a
bit more in depth once this panic is over, but it's the one last stumbling
block of one last browser and I know there are some users on this list.
And yes, I've been trawling through docs, hotkey lists faqs and dev guides
almost the entire day, but the docs are so big I'm getting bogged down.

Sorry, I can't put a link to the page yet as much as I've love to! Possibly
by the end of the week though once approved. Thanks again, lovely people!