[access-uk] Re: Questions about ARIA active elements and progress bars and general screen reader usage in the UK.

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:19:02 +0000

Hello all, thanks for your replies. As it happens, I stumbled upon the
results of the brand new 2014 WebAIM Screenreader survey, which might
interest some here. http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey5/. I
will paste the most relevant bit at the end of this email.

While needing to remain slightly diplomatic in my language, I think I
can safely say the replies to this thread reflect the fact I've not
actually ever read or heard anything positive about JAWS or negative
about NVDA :) .

Regarding Saqib's question about System Access, no, I didn't test it
as I've not used it before, but providing it follows the standards, it
should work about the same, at least as far as web browsing goes.

Here's a snippet of the survey:

Quote: While JAWS is still the most popular screen reader and has seen
a significant decline in primary usage over the years, usage has
stabilized since 2012 at around 50%. Window-Eyes saw its usage cut
almost in half over the previous 19 months, from 12.3% in May 2012 to
only 6.7% in January 2014. It will be interesting to see how
Window-Eyes usage changes in the future now that it is available for
Microsoft Office users. NVDA saw a notable increase and VoiceOver a
minor increase. SA and ZoomText saw decreases in usage as a primary
screen reader. While they were not listed for simplicity's sake, the
survey comments indicate that Orca, SuperNova, and Speakup (among
others) were common "Other" screen readers.

Regional differences are of note. JAWS was much more popular in Asia
(65% of respondents) and North America (52%) than in Europe/UK (44%).
NVDA was nearly 3 times more popular in Europe/UK than in North
America.