[access-uk] Puzzling Problem with Vista and Web Browsing

  • From: "Chris Hallsworth" <christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:30:41 -0000

Hello all,
I'm running Vista Home Premium and I'm connected to my corporate university
network via a LAN cable. My puzzling problem is that everything in terms of
connectivity seems to be working great. I can send and receive e-mail, chat
on MSN/Skype, download files, etc. The problem however is that when I try to
browse the web, using both IE7 and FF3.0.5 I think, the pages either slowly
load or time out after some time. This seems to be a persistent but random
problem and I'm not sure where to go. The diagnose and repair feature isn't
helping much (it either says "Windows could not detect any problems with the
network", or, when pages do time out it says "Windows can't repair the
problem automatically"). Other times, however, web pages load at expected
speeds. I don't have any of this with any of the wireless networks I use
either at home or at a friend's house. Should I speak to someone about this,
or is this in fact a Vista issue, probably a driver incompatibility, and
I'll just have to wait till 7 comes out? When I briefly tried 7 I don't
recall having any of these problems. All help would be greatly appreciated
as it's certainly a mystery to me and is indeed frustrating, particularly if
I need to research something for an assignment or something.

--
Chris Hallsworth
e-mail: christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx