[access-uk] Re: Problems with friend's laptop, please help!

  • From: Barry Toner <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:05:53 +0100

Hi,

Yes the machines away with it.  Cleaning up malware is only skin deep
especially when it's messed up the Registry, which it sounds like here.

Chris, you can start the re-install within the Windows Session and complete it
using Narrator after your friend has heard it reboot several times and cant'
hear any hard disk activity.  Failingg the sfx indicators give it an hour and
then try starting Narrator on the Out Of Box screen that should come up.  Grabs
only documents and if necessary sound files from the windows.old directory
under C:\ when it's back in the new installation.  Then delete that directory
from the machine completely.

Regards,
Barry.