[access-uk] Problems Playing iPlayer Files

  • From: "Caroline Ford" <caroline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:06:38 -0000

Hello,

I have downloaded a program via the BBC iPlayer which has a .wmv extension.
I expected to be able to play this in Windows Media Player, but it will not
play it, telling me I have a problem with my sound device which may need an
updated driver.  No update is available through Windows Update, and it works
fine if I stream the file through iPlayer, so I don't think that can
actually be the problem.  Do I need to have Silverlight installed to be able
to play .wmv files in Windows Media Player, or is there a better player I
should be using instead, such as QuickTime?

I then tried using the iPlayer Downloader, which was recommended on this
list a while ago.  It downloaded my program with a .mov extension, but this
also won't play in Windows Media Player either.

If anyone has any suggestions about how I can get either file to play,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Caroline.

database 4561 (20091031) __________