[access-uk] Problem with Windows Live Messenger and windows Vista

  • From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:13:44 -0000

Hi

This problem has been annoying me for most of the day and I have not found an
answer yet and I wonder if anyone can please help.

As background, my daughter has a computer with Windows Vista Pro and Supernova
installed.  She did have Windows Live Messenger installed and could communicate
with people through sending messages, but she was unable to use the Windows
Live Messenger games.  So in the hope that an uninstall and reinstall would
help, I uninstall Windows Live Messenger and it now will not reinstall at all.
When I launch the Windows Live installer as it is known, the screen contents
suggest that it is "waiting for Messenger" and then it begins to download.
When it reaches 99 per cent, a message appears stating "sorry, we were unable
to install the program at this time" and to "try again later".  Doing so makes
no difference.

Upon investigation having undertaken some Google searches, it seems that there
are a large number of complaints about this specific problem but there is no
solution given on any site which I can see.  Following this problem, I have now
updated the machine to SP1 of Vista but with no different results.  I also went
through the "disk cleanup" and ensured no temporary files existed.

Clearly the machine as I say has had Windows Live Messenger installed before to
some extent and if I have to in the morning I will rebuild the computer from
scratch and take the machine back to the point where we purchased it.  But to
save me a few hours work as she has a lot of software on there which needs to
be installed and configured, if anyone can please suggest how I may be able to
get this program on the machine I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Brian Hartgen