[access-uk] Re: Possibly off-topic - U E B Braille Magazines

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 16:26:17 +0100

Just a thought here regarding the U E B. this could also be something to
do with the accessibility elements of HTML 5 for those useing software
to convert internet based content to Braille.there seems to be some
logic there i think.
On 09/04/2015 15:04, Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello all,

For information, I’ve just put in a complaint and a request for action
to RNIB, because last week, they started sending out magazines in
Unified English Braille. I have no problem with that, except that the
notice (in U E B) at the front of the magazines stated that a guide
sheet was sent out along with the magazine, showing the most commonly
encountered changes to the code, but the magazines I was reading had
no such guide. I would also have thought that the time to send out the
guide sheet was when the magazines in “old skool Braille” were
heralding the imminent arrival of magazines in the Unified Code.

To go back to the code itself, from what I’ve now seen of it, I don’t
think I’ll have too much difficulty getting used to the effects of the
loss of certain contractions, and fully understand the logic of
removing ambiguities, such as dot six being used in contractions like
ation and ally, and as punctuations. However, it will be helpful to
see how it is representing other types of print, such as block
capitals versus initial caps. Are wew on a hiding to nothing trying to
slavishly follow or represent pring though, so that we have to
surround a word with so many extra symbols to show that it’s initial
capitals, underscored and bold, for example? I’m noticing increasingly
that documents I’m receiving are conveying information by colour
coding. Will we one day need a supercode, in which say, dot five
followed by dot 2 followed by dots 5-6 followed by a slash means that
the following word is in blue, with another set to indicate red, so
that we’ll know which is which when the text says: “Training courses
in redhave no discount, courses in blue have a 50% earlybird discount,
and courses shown in green are free”? And on the subject of
disappearing contractions, I’ve never seen the point of the grade 2
representations of receiving, perceiving, deceiving, Declaring? I know
it’s because the I N G sign wouldn’t work, but why not just get rid
and write c e v ing instead of cvg?

Best,

Clive

/ /