[access-uk] Re: Portset Digital Media Centre

  • From: "Terry Clasper" <terry.clasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:33:05 -0000

Jackie OK here goes...
1.  Is it now capable of playing DVDs with speech navigation?
Yes basically you insert the DVD, it first establishes whether there is an
audio described version of the title and if so it asks you if you want to play
tha. If you say no then you can navigate the menu and the TTTS reads out the
titles on the DVD.

2.  Is there an auxiliary socket on the unit that would allow you to put
another device through it?
No, there is a stereo line out in the form of two phonos but no input sockets.

3.  Is it possible to connect it to a standard TV to obtain a picture for
sighted people to share?
No not at all the unit has no picture capabilitys.

Any more?
For what its worth my take is that if someone is essentially non techyand wants
a simple UI to watch and record TV, as well as playing DVD's etc it's fine,
however if you need or want to share your viewing experience with sighted
people then essentially you can't.
And as you say Jackie it's a hell of a lot of money!
Like everything there are pros and cons and for many who can afford it this
product is very good.

  Could I please pose the following questions, on behalf of someone who wants
to know, regarding the Portset DMC:

  1.  Is it now capable of playing DVDs with speech navigation?

  2.  Is there an auxiliary socket on the unit that would allow you to put
another device through it?

  3.  Is it possible to connect it to a standard TV to obtain a picture for
sighted people to share?

  I have read the blurb on the Portset website, but would prefer an opinion
from a user.  I could also ring the company but ... (smile).

  Many thanks in advance.

  Jackie