[access-uk] Re: Portset.

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:39:33 -0000

Ray

I think the price I paid was about right too.

I do realise that not wanting to pay the licence fee is a bit mean, but TV
sets are not cheap either, so I decided to go for the sound only bargain.

I agree with you about the BBC, and what we would do without Radio 4 I don't
know.  Years ago we used to pay a small radio licence fee, and I for one
wouldn't mind forking out a bit to the BBC for the privilege of all their
radio access, not just national, but regional and local too.  Since going
online I have been able to enjoy listening to BBC radio when I have missed
interesting programmes, and the work they do on their website is fantastic.
I get loads of news and other information from them, and as far as I am
concerned they are second to none.

Your reference to the well-known stinginess of the blind is the only point
where I would take issue with you.  I think it is often more a question of
lack of funds than actually being stingy.  I was lucky enough to have worked
full time for over 40 years, so I managed to build up a bit of company
pension as well as the one from the state.  This means that if I want to buy
a new PC, talking product, etc, I don't have to worry about the cost half so
much as I would if I had never found a job and had to live on benefits.
Given the appalling statistics regarding employment of blind people, it's a
wonder to me that products specially designed for us sell as well as they
do.

Wendy