[access-uk] Re: Portable DAB radio

  • From: "Mark Berrisford-Smith" <mark.berrisford-smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:37:04 -0000

   Margaret,

I did quite a lot of research on pocket DAB radios a few months ago, and finally went for the Phillips DA1000. I subsequently read a review in one of the hi-fi magazines which rated it as by some way the best of the bunch.

That may not be saying very much, however, as some of the offerings have taken something of a caning, including the latest (very expensive) model from Pure - the PocketDAB 2000.

The problem faced by almost all pocket DAB radios is that they don't pull in enough signal. This is because they use the headphone cable as an aerial, rather than having an in-built telescopic antenna. The reason is that they are marketed primarily at people who might want to listen to the radio while walking, cycling, or in the gym. In those circumstances the last thing you need is a telescopic antenna sticking out of your pocket!

The Phillips does not provide any speech feedback, nor I think does any other pocket models. It is, however, quite usable, sounds fairly good, and pulls in signals as well as anything else.

If you're thinking of using it on train journeys, then please bear in mind that the metalised windows on some of the modern rolling-stock blocks out all but the strongest signals. From my experience, the Virgin West Coast and Cross-Country and South-West Trains rolling stock is pretty good at keeping radio and mobile phone signals out.

Hope that helps,

Mark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Margaret Smith" <jamieboy46@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>