[access-uk] Re: Pop before SMTP

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:26:20 -0000

Hi,

Pop before SMTP is used on roming accounts where the IP address you
connect from is not in the relay list.  The client logs on via POP, and
the current IP address gets added to the relay list for a short period,
which is why it is called POP before SMTP.  As you have to authenticate
with POP, you are classed as a trusted users.  The disadvantages are
though that if someone else gets your IP address, then it causes issues,
plus, if you are behind one public IP address, anyone in the
building/location can gain access to the relay service, which is why
SMTP authentication is becoming more widely used.

It is still quite popular, however.

Andrew.