[access-uk] Re: Podcast on Talking iPod Nano

  • From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:51:28 +0100

Hi Jackie

From a simplistic point of view, the I-Tel is good because although you have to
connect a device to the iPod, the controls are very tactile and it is an easy
to use menu system.  It also functions with iPods which can accommodate more
than 16 GB which is the maximum storage capacity of a Nano.
But I have not spoken to anyone yet who likes the speech reproduction, and
quite a number of the options available on the iPod Nano cannot be controlled
by the i-Tel.  I was quite surprised when I started using the new Nano 4 gen
how much I had previously been missing out on in the way of access to options.

I personally really like the Nano because I can have the voice of my choosing
generated using the computer.

Steve, I take your point about not demonstrating podcasts.  But podcasts are
displayed in just the same way as music and albums, and there would not have
been much to be gained by demoing that.  There is always going to be something
which is not going to be demonstrated in a podcast which someone wants (smile).
 But people should have enough to get them started.  You will know from
subscribing to my iPod mailing list, as I know you are, that we have discussed
on there how you can get iPods to think they are playing audio books when you
are really listening to podcasts, in order that you can vary the speed etc, and
how files can be set so as to retain their position when you leave them.