[access-uk] Re: Plextalk Linio

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 01:55:49 +0000

I briefly  demonstrated the Plextalk Lino connecting to a Mac and using it to
read RNIB Talking Newspaper content transferred from a Mac. This is available
on Apple Vis but is focussed more on the Mac. I could conceivably do a fuller
demo , . but What in particular do you want to know  about?
Most of the functionality is very similar to the Pocket Plextalk but with
upgraded Acappella voices for ebook reading and a calendar function.  If you
want info on the calendar I never use it as the calendar on iPhones with
iPhones with Siri are so much easier to use.

However both the Pocket Plextalk and Linio  remain high quality excellent
though expensive devices in general.
 The main annoyance is the connection time for internet radio but this can be
worked around by forcing a connection by resubmitting a station request onto an
adjoining station and then returning to your preferred station as soon as
connection is achieved. .

I have both the Linio and the second generation Victor Reader Stream but for me
the Linio continues to win   hands down, mainly because of the quality of sound
output through earphones is far superior. Unfortunately Humanware  did a
disastrous job with the sound on the second gen stream but this may not  be too
important for you, especially if you do not have a hearing impairment.
Certainly the Stream is a far cheaper option then the relatively expensive
Linio.
By the way there is a misguided belief on the lists that I have seen that you
cannot turn sound affects off, in particular the key confirmation beep but I
have successfully done this. Both the waiting sounds and key press confirmation
settings are configurable in system settings including the option to turn them
off completely. This does require a restart of the device to complete this
settings change.

David Griffith.