[access-uk] Re: Please, how can this be achieved?

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:37:28 +0000

-original message-
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Please, how can this be achieved?
From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 25:02:2009 6:40 am

Hi Colin.

BCC means blind carbon copy.  If you want to send a message to someone but
also send a copy to another individual without the original addressee
knowing, you use the BCC feature.The person who gets the original one will not
know. However a very serious word of caution. I received a BCc from someone
with very sensitive information. Someone who had trust in me. I knew that it
was her who sent me the BCc because the e-mail when it landed in my Inbox said
it was from her. I did not realize that it was a BCC AND JUST THOUGHT IT WAS MY
FRIEND SENDING ME THE INFORMATION. All was well until I replied and using the
mouse and not the keyboard I clicked what I thought was  Reply but in fact I
clicked the button to the right of that which was Reply All. I made a huge
error of judgment that day. My reply fell in to the hands of my friend's
employers. Due to the sensative nature of the content her employers then
contacted her to know who I was etc. Could have cost her her job but on this
occassion it did not! I then began to look up on Google about BCC and the
information I read said that where someone might suspect that BCc copies have
been sent out, provided they have the technical expertise within a company then
they can find out information like e-mail addresses of BBc from their Server
with the appropriate software.
Eleanor  As far as I understand it, if a person
has received a BCC, their mail client will indicate that the message wasn't
originally addressed to them, but is a carbon copy of a message sent to
someone else.  The original addressee will not know that a carbon copy has
been sent, the whole point of the BCC function.  If using the CC field, the
addressee will know that a copy has been sent to another.

I hope this isn't confusing and if you want to cross post, simply send
individual messages keeping the contents in tact but only use the to: field.

All the best, Ibrahim.