[access-uk] Re: Please help?

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:32:49 -0000

In what way do a lot of people out there have much worse mobility problems
that are covered by the higher rate mobility?  Bare in mind that a disabled
person can get a wheelchair on the NHS, including maintenance agreement.

I know that a lot of places are not accessible for a wheelchair user.  Is
this the extra cost that the higher rate covers?  Is it so that a wheelchair
user can travel to places that are accessible such as the cheaper retail
parks?  That's fair enough.

So, Alex and all blind decentres, I'd like to know how you access a shop if
you don't know where it is,?  What if your home town doesn't have a store
that you want?  How do you find out where it is and how do you get there?
Ok, you might be able to get to the train station or bus station of the town
that it's in, but where do you go from there?  Do you ask directions at
every corner?  And, if you fancied going to an out-of-town retail park to
take advantage of the cheaper goods, how would you get there?  They don't
have public transport to these places.  If you struggle, think what
difficulties a severely visually impaired person with less confidence and
ability would have in these situations.  Would these costs be covered by the
lower rte mobility?

A SEVERELY VISUALLY IMPAIRED PERSON  cannot read timetables, see bus stops,
read train station screens, find a specific shop, dodge the over hanging
bush, avoid the broken paving, get to retail parks, carry a weeks worth of
shopping in their one free hand, travel to unfamiliar places without
assistance, avoid dangerous situations, such as dark, lonely streets or
gangs of youths, nor find safety quickly in a dangerous situation.  SEVERELY
VISUALLY IMPAIRED people do get lost very easily, stay indoors rather than
face the difficulties of travel, only use familiar and very restricted
routes, miss out on social events, feel a burden to friends and family, and
take risks with life and limb every time they venture out.  If you can
suggest an alternative to sighted help or taxi's that would avoid these
situations, I'd be very pleased if you could tell me.

I don't argue that every blind person should automatically get the higher
rate, but, likewise, they should not be automatically disqualified from it.
Each case should be assessed, as is the middle rate care.

An ideal situation could be that the government introduce a middle rate
mobility, but that never seems to come up with any authority.

Barry