[access-uk] Please can anyone help

  • From: "Peter BEasley" <p.beasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:05:21 +0100

I have had an ongoing problem with my PC since early March.  The problem is
that after the machine has been running for half an hour to 40 minutes, it
simply runs out of steam and stops working.  The sort of error mesage I
sometimes get tells me that there is no buffer available or unable to allocate
memory.  A computer engineer who tested this machine in his workshop saidthat
he was unable to replicate the problem but I don't see how this can be as I
have left the machine onwith no applications running for 3 quarters of an hour
and was unable to start the screenreader.  The engineer did send me the
following from the Microsoft support website but as this involves adding
something to the registry, I wouldlike further advice.
1.    Start Registry Editor.
2.    Locate the following subkey in the registry, and then click
Parameters:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
3.    On the Edit menu, click New, and then add the following registry
entry:
Value Type: DWORD
Value Name: MaxUserPort
Value data: 65534
Valid Range: 5000-65534 (decimal)
Default: 0x1388 (5000 decimal)
when a program requests any available user port from the system. Typically ,
ephemeral (short-lived) ports are allocated between the values of 1024 and
5000 inclusive.
4.    Quit Registry Editor.