[access-uk] Playing Audio Books

  • From: Brendan Magill <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Access-uk <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:15:39 +0100

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this question seems a bit naive, but I have as yet no experience of the technology involved.

I'm looking for a modern and convenient way of playing audio books. In the past I've used tape and found that very good in its day. I haven't really felt comfortable with CDs, so have never got into listening to books in that format. I'm an avid reader and am looking for some up to date technology which will give me access to mainstream reading material.

My thought is to use something like an iPOD as a portable reading device. Looking around on the Web, there are clearly plenty of sites from which I could download unabridged books. I could then transfer these to an iPOD or something similar. This would seem like a nice way of doing it.

I've got no experience of iPODS, so don't know what functionality there would be on these units. The most useful function would seem to be to be able to bookmark my current place, so as to be able to start reading from where I left off. It would be good, too, to be able to move back a paragraph, or a few seconds, so as to pick up the story when starting to read again. Other functions, such as skipping back or farward a chapter at a time might be useful, but are probably not essential. The other issue is about how much memory is required to store a book; some large books can be more than forty hours in length, but how much memory does this take?

Short of going out and buying an iPOD, I'm not sure how to find out these things; yet I don't want to buy the wrong one. I'd therefore welcome any thoughts and suggestions from list members on this topic. It might be useful, too, to know something about how easy it would be to use these devices with low vision; I use a hand lens for reading and can cope with most text displays, but it ought to be possible to do these things without looking at the display.

So, any thoughts and comments will be most welcome.

Cheers,

Brendan.

--
BRENDAN MAGILL