[access-uk] Re: PORTABLE DAB/FM RADIOS SUITABLE FOR VI'S

  • From: "Paul Roberts" <anorack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 17:20:26 +0100

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, although some of you will know me from other Elists
which I am subscribed to.

Anyway, I recently bought myself a new Sony FM/dAB/DAB plus portable radio
and I am really pleased with it.

IN my view, I would rate the FM as 10 out of 10, due to the way it's tuned.

I live in the Merseyside area and so if I tune into Radio Merseyside on 95.8
but then tune the radio to either 95.7 or 95.9, there's hardly any bleeding
from Radio Merseyside, something which raerely happens on FM radios these
days.

As it's so well tuned, it enables me to pick up some stations I can't
normally pick up.

A friend of mine bought this radio a hwile ago and told me he found the DAB
part to be more sensative than his other DAB radios.

I must say that so far, i've not found the DAB part to be more sensative.

I am really looking forward to hearing how DAB plus sounds, when I visit
Dublin in september, as this is used there and I believe DAB plus is much
better quality wise than the normal DAB.

The radio comes in Black, Red or white and has a mains lead and also takes 4
AA batteries which can last for ten hours continuous.

The speaker is to the front left of the unit and to the rihgt, a smooth area
containing 7 round buttons.

The top row has three buttons, the top left is menu and the top right is to
change between FM AND DAB/DAB plus.

there are then two rows of two round buttons underneath but i've not yet
worke out what these do.

I don't as yet know how to scan any stations in but think this might be a
slighth problem as I don't think it's as straightforward as other radios.

the top right of the unit has the on-off button which is also round. The
volume is a round knob on the right side of the unit.

The mains plug and headphone jack are on the left side of the unit.

The battery compartment is at the back and as it takes 4 AA batteries, it's
a fairly large compartment.

Each battery sits in it's own littel compartment too.

It cost me £45 and whilst i've not fully got to grips with all settings, I
am really made up with this.

Only thing is that it lacks a bit of bass, , plus as you move between DAB
stations you have to press another button so as to hear that particular
station.
ON FM you can perss either the up or down arrow and it will scan through the
strongest signals and skip through them.

will try to find out more info if nayone's interested but I would reckommend
to anyone who's interested particularly if you go away and want to see what
you can get on FM or DAB.

regards

Paul.