[access-uk] Re: PLEXTALK POCKET SD CAR QUESTION

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:17:03 -0000

Hi Mandy.

Do you have any devices capable of playing daisy books at all then? You could rent a talking book player, that'd be your cheapest option by far and the devices are portable enough, certainly to take around the house, garden and in a bag on your travels. If you are however looking for something that is pocket sized, I believe your cheapest option would be one of the milestone players. The cheapest Book Sense device is £225 while I believe the milestone can be had for around £190. Do you have a device like an IPod Touch or IPhone? If you do, there is Daisy playback software you can get for these devices which would alleviate the need to buy something extra just to play your titles.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Mandy
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:08 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: PLEXTALK POCKET SD CAR QUESTION

Changing the nature of this topic slightly:  I purchased and used the
Plextalk Pocket but a few months ago it developed a fault where all it would
say was "please wait" an no re-setting made any difference so I had to send
it back to RNIB.

Eventually after many calls I was told that it was sent back to the
manufacturers who do not repair once the unit is out of guarantee so that is
that, no more using the Plextalk so I am wondering whether to purchase
something else as I am a talking book user and have to pay £50 per year
unlike most people I talk to who do not have to pay themselves.  I could
just access the books on the computer or copy to something else - I have a
tiny portable DAB with its own memory which I have copied some books to or
the zenstone which is obviously too small in capacity.  I now also own a
Kindle but will this meet all of my reading needs?

So what would people recommend I buy?  I gave Brian my VictorStream and
don't want to buy another - how good is BookSense and how much does it cost?

Mandy.

-----Original Message----- From: Jackie Cairns
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:32 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ibrahim

Firstly, these cards are too expensive yet to bother with buying.  Secondly,
I would doubt that at least the BookSense would work as Martin found his
struggled with 32GB.  It did some weird and annoying things, so he gave the
card to me which I have in my BrailleSense.

I did take the play.com offer up recently and bought two 32GB cards for I
think it was £17.99 each as they were SanDisk.

If someone has tried a 64GB card, please let us know, though the price won't
drop for a bit yet.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns