[access-uk] Re: Overdrive

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:26:48 -0000

Yes, I noticed that too. the reader is not named and none of the book cover information is given. The catalogue which is disgracefully not being updated tells me the reader is Patience Tomlinson. Judging by the time given on the catalogue and the time I get from playing the book with Voice Dream Reader, I think the actual text of the book is complete. There only seems to be about two minutes difference in the times.

Iain

-----Original Message----- From: David Russelll
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:52 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Overdrive

I think someone mentioned the other day the book "Charles Dickens, a life"
by Clare Tomalin.  This was recommended by the overdrive team as a good
Christmas read, so I thought I would give it a try.

Even before the book starts, there are problems.  The title of the book is
announced, followed by the usual RNIB information including their charity
number.  But, the reader does not tell us her name, nor, more importantly,
the name of the author of the book.  There is also no announcement as to the
length of the book, which we normally receive with talking books.

So far, the book itself is fine, although I am only one hour through.

I do think this shows a rather careless approach, but let's hope this is an
isolated instance.

Davids