[access-uk] Re: Overdrive

  • From: "David Russelll" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:41:19 -0000

I am with Sandra and Pele on this one.  While I do appreciate that the
system is not perfect, I very much welcome the ability to pick up books
whenever I want them, even though I find that many of the books I search for
have not yet been converted.  I rarely use the facilities offered by DAISY,
so do not miss that aspect on overdrive too much.

One thing I would like to see, which will no longer apply once all the
talking books have been converted, is a note next to each book listed in the
new books cd, advising whether each book is available on overdrive.

The sound quality does seem compressed to me, but that is something I can
live with if it means being able to choose what I wish to read and when.

I do find the site rather cluttered, and do get annoyed if I do a search and
the book is not found, only to be told that I have made an error, whereas in
fact any fault or error is due to the fact that the book has not yet been
converted.  One other thing I would like to see on the site is an
announcement telling me whether or not I have downloaded a book before.  You
cannot always remember every book you have read.

Generally though, Overdrive has more positives than negatives, and I very
much hope that some of the problems will be rectified in due course.

David