[access-uk] Over There!

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 19:55:20 +0100

Hello all,

Below my sign-off is an email trawled from another list which rather sums it
all up.

Paul Benson.

* * *

Over There?

As my guide dog and I stood in line at the checkout of the River City Market at
CSUS, I asked the cashier what I considered a simple question.

"Where are the napkins please?"

Her response was hurried, but sincere, "over there."

Emerging from the light rail for the first time, I managed to catch the
attention of a passer-by.

"Please sir, can you tell me where I might catch bus 63?"

A kind voice offered a pleasant response before disappearing into the cacophony
of the early afternoon, 'You can catch it, 'Over there.'"

So many things reside over there -- napkins, bus stops, pencils, pens, clothing
racks, department stores and even my shoes! A never ending supply of important
and indispensable items and locales all reside in This place which is shrouded
in mystery and intrigue. I stand in perplexed silence after learning that
something is over there. It is a place I have never been and have no hope of
finding on my own.

My guide dog is quite skilled in finding chairs, stairs, elevators, escalators,
helping me cross streets, and can even find me the Diet Pepsi display at Food
Town; however, when I tell her to find "over there" her little bottom hits the
floor and a small whimper tells me that she is as confused as I. We will not be
going "over there" today.

Over there has caused me abit of vexation, a lot of confusion and, on occasion,
made my heart race. I have discovered that "over there" can be a dangerous
place. One day,while crossing a street, I heard a driver's irritated voice
shout out a warning of a truck bearing down on me from over there. Shadow
artfully dodged the oncoming vehicle and pulled me to the safety of the curb.
Our hearts were both racing as we took a few moments to compose ourselves.
Close encounters with over there can be frightening experiences.

Although many blind people have wondered as to the exact location of, "over
there," few have dared to venture forth in an actual exploration of the
mysterious place. One day, while standing in line at the supermarket, I asked
the clerk where I might find the aspirin. With a cheery smile in her voice, She
informed me that the aspirin was located, "over there." With a weary sigh, I
decided that I would take the extra step that Would unravel the mystery, which
had vexed my compatriots since the Beginning of time. Taking a deep breath, and
attempting to look nonchalant, I smiled at the clerk, "Where," I asked, "is
over there?" I imagined the girl's shocked expression. I felt her sharing
condescending and concerned looks with her fellows in the store. The silence
grew palpable as they mulled the possibility of allowing a blind person access
to the forbidden land. She had no choice; she would have to tell me how to find
"over there!" I had won! Exhilaration swept through me as I waited in
breathless anticipation. A victorious smile crept to my lips, my hand tightened
on the handle of Shadow's harness, we would soon be going over there! The
clerk's voice reeked with resignation as the decision was made.

"That way," she said.

* * *