[access-uk] Outlook Express Tweak

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:08:05 -0000

Here's a post I've just put up on my blog that I thought some of you might
be interested in.

RSS feed,

http://feeds.feedburner.com/irishgeek

--------
I feel like sometimes I'm an old man trapped in a young mans body when it
comes to some

particular technology aspects.

I'm being very stereotypical here, from the stubborn old man who's reluctant
to change.

I've several geek friends who poke fun because I still use Outlook Express I
don't change to

anything else because, hey!  It does what I want it to do.  I use my rules,
and most if not

all the advance settings, with the exception of digital sigs.  Never had the
need for them.

And as for the old argument of what a hassle it is to backup it's settings.
Not for me I've

an application that does that for me and wraps it up in this nice
executeable file.  Ready

to be used when needed.

To me an email clients an email client.  If all I'm doing is
sending/receiving mails from

the thing and having a handy address book why change just for change sake?

if I was using more detailed tools such as Calaender etc I might consider
switching to

Microsoft Outlook 2007, but I'm just not.

I'm skilled enough that I can use a product if I need too and I do some prep
by

experimenting with a product rather than going completely cold at it.
overhalling how you

do things just for peers isn't always the best move.

I'm the kinda guy who's not content using a products basic features and
being done with it.

I like to poke about under any hatch that's opened or I can open.

So here's a cool trick i just found that is going to save me under XP, (as
they've change

the mail system in Vista), alot of desk thwacking.

Anyone still using Windows Messenger?  Yup!  I'm using that too, why?  It
sends/receivies

messages, and the odd file if I need to.  I've no interest in winks, web
cams, funky

toolbars etc.  Windows Messenger does the job.  Untill....  It's this
annoying habit o

fputting your contacts list into the address book of Outlook Express.

Want that to stop?

1.  Go to run.

2.  Type regidt and click OK.

3.  Go to the registry entry,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express

4.  Right click on Outlook Express and click New.

5.  Select Dword Value and enter 2 in the edit field.

6.  Close regedit.

This should stop the intagration between Outlook Express and Windows
Messenger.

Ah, my address book PC and mobile sync should be alot lesss painful now.

That's all for now.

Dj paddy