[access-uk] Re: Other BT Frustrations

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 07:58:53 +0100

Colin makes comment
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but how long have people been paying for the
>telephone directory?

I never said they do!
I was clearly  referring to directory enquiries,
as I did  mention  195  so I was  making the point the blind people get
free
access  to that service  others must pay.
For the  record,  there is only a good case for 195 if it only deals
with local  numbers,  because,  a sighted  person can look up the
number for free in the  paper  copy of the directory.

Si  a a sighted  person wants a number  for  someone 100 miles away,
why  would it be  reasonable to  charge that  sighted person, and not
the blind person for the same  information?

The 195  issue  was raised simply  as an  example (and it's not the
only  example I  could give)  that shows  BT does more than it
legally must do for the blind and disabled.
Regards,
Derek

e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx