[access-uk] Re: Operating a remote control, remotely?

  • From: "Mark Threadgold" <m.j.threadgold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:18:27 +0100

Ray,

There used to be an infra red relay which did what you want.  It had a
receiver in the room you were in and then the transmitter end in the living
room.  The two were connected via RF.  This passed any IR signal it got from
the receiver through to the transmitter enabling you to use several remote
controls from one room through to another.  The limitation is still IR both
ends so everything you want to change has to have an IR remote and be in
line of sight of the relay transmitter.

I have not looked for this device for some years but saw one working very
well previously where cable TV was piped up to the bedroom so the living
room TV set top box could be controlled from there.  They were widely
available on the high street but that was 5 or 6 years ago.

hth,

Mark Threadgold