[access-uk] Re: Online utility accounts

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 15:10:43 +0200 (CEST)

In 1948, you'd be hard put to it to read print via scanner, while nowadays it's
cheap and easy to do just that.

In the name of customer service, surely it's better if someone asks you some
basic questions rather than making assumptions. What proportion of blind people
read Braille? A very small one is my understanding. Something like 20,000 out
of a couple of million people was an estimate made by RNIB some years ago.

Vince.

Message Received: Apr 04 2014, 11:45 AM
From: "Derek Hornby"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Online utility accounts

But if we go by legal defination of blind
Is it not correct to assume blind people can not read print.

The National Assistance Act 1948 states that a person can be
severely sight impaired if they are "so blind as to be unable to perform
any work for which eye sight is essential" (National Assistance Act
Section 64(1)).

Derek
From: "Derek Hornby"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx