[access-uk] Re: Olympus DS-50 Voice Recorder / MP3 player

  • From: "Sandra Henshall" <oceania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:12:43 -0000

I feel I must join Andy in defence of the Olympus DS50 here.  I purchased
one from Hagger Electronics and am more than satisfied with it.  The unit is
about 95 per cent accessible, which is good enough for me.  I've also
purchased a pair of BSM9 binaural microphones and am getting good quality
recordings.  It's easy to convert files from WMA to MP3.  As usual, we've
been ripped off here in Britain on the price but then what's new?  I've also
used the recorder as an MP3 player for film sound tracks and audio books and
have no axe to grind with the quality of the playback.  It's small and
inconspicuous when taken outdoors and I think Olympus should be commended
for making the effort to give us some sort of accessibility.  I do wish
people didn't always look for perfection;  it doesn't exist.  It seems to me
that whatever a company tries to do to make their products usable by blind
people, there will always be folks who are just never satisfied.  The
Olympus does exactly what I want and, like Andy, I have no regrets about
buying one.

Cheers,
Sandra.