[access-uk] Re: Olympus DS-50 Voice Recorder / MP3 player

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:47:09 -0000

Hi Steve.

Since your message I have had a word with one of the best informed minds  on
digital recording that I knowand he has settled the argument as far as I am
concerned.  I was wrong of course in my assertion that the Olympus was a
better device than the Ederal, but his comments are worth listening to.

He states,...

were I having a discussion with a real audiophile about which would give
me the best quality sound, I would have to say that the Edirol would be
the choice.  Of course, I didn't buy one and I did buy an Olympus.
Reason, the noise of the mike pre-amps in the Edirol are way too noisy
for my taste.  That alone was the killer for me.  I have a Zoom which is
not very accessible to people who are blind but makes a very nice, quiet
high fidelity recording even on 128 KBPS MP3, and this MP3 recording is
much better than what the Edirol will give you in MP3.  the Zoom will
also record in 44.1 and 48 sampling rate and in 16 and 24 bit.  I
purchased an Olympus for note taking and for interviews that I will be
transcribing to paper and electronic format and not as a recorder I will
use for podcasts, etc.  Other people certainly will use the Olympus for
that and some will have success.  Others who don't happen to have the
mikes that work well with the Olympus will get distortion and a lot of
limiter pounding.

Bottom line, in my opinion, technically, he may be right, but he doesn't
have to be such a jerk about it.  So, be glad you have something you
like, make recordings you like, and enjoy listening to them and sharing
them with others and let the other people who think they have to badger
people go right ahead.  As long as you like what you have, that's what
counts.

Just my 2 cents worth.